Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What goes "whirrrrr,bang,woof,whirrrrr,bang,woof" ? Can't guess? Well, let me explain ... That is the noise that a team of builders make when they are cutting away brick walls and nailing everything in sight with a nail gun ... Oh and it makes the dog go crazy so he chimes in with a deeply offended "woof" and growl! No wonder I want to run away from home! It is not exactly conducive to getting work done - all that fuss and noise is messin' with my Chi ... Still, deadlines are deadlines regardless of the distractions at hand ( I should add that these builders are all young and fit looking ... Yet another distraction!) so I had to get in some studio time this week. I am joining in with a whole bunch of jewellers (real ones!) to put on an exhibition for the upcoming Fringe festival in Adelaide. The concept is to make jewellery that represents a part of Adelaide or it can even be made from bits of the city and surrounding areas. Following my usual instinct for working with recycled and reclaimed materials, I have concentrated on using wine bottles since I live in an iconic wine region. It's a bit of a process. Firstly the bottle has to be EMPTY! Never one to shirk my duty to my art I have addressed that part of the process quite happily! Next there is cutting and shaping and drilling and tumbling the glass bits to make them ready to work with. Finally I assemble the earrings using reclaimed pewter and brass components that I make and then hang them from handcrafted hooks of recycled sterling silver. I am happy with the outcome but am going to be in some exceptional company for this show which is a bit nerve racking . Still, I can't wait to see my work alongside that of some "proper" jewellers! 










3 comments:

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

These are sooooo beautiful!

Ro Bruhn said...

Love these Sue, you always put so much effort into everything you create. Your fellow exhibitioners will be in awe.

Melissa said...

WOW these are fabulous, how are the fingers XX