Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flea Market Finds

Having my daughter home for a few days was a lovely distraction - especially when she requested a trip to the Op-Shop! She was on a quest for some extra cutlery for the flat she shares with her sister - apparently the flat is some kind of Bermuda Triangle for cutlery as it keeps mysteriously disappearing without a trace! She accomplished her mission and found a lovely stainless steel colander to boot. I found this great mug.


It was made by Hornsea Pottery - an apparently well-known manufacturer in England. I just love the dragon!
I can't decide if he is being ferocious or funny - what do you think?
I also picked up some very ornate silver-pated forks ...



I plan to use a couple of them to make another one of these ...



I made a prototype of this and wore it all day - I was surprised  at just how comfy it was - it fits at the base of the wrist so the charms hang on top of your hand - very pretty. Also, because of its shape it doesn't seem to twist about like bracelets generally do. Anyway, I was spurred on by the success of the prototype and made the one pictured. The charm is made from brass and tin from a tea caddy. There is also a potato pearl and a Swarovski crystal to complete the dangly bits. I think using the more ornate and chunky fork handles will create quite a different piece - wish me luck!
Head on over to Sophies to join in with Flea Market Finds or just to have a gander at what other people are finding to add to their collections etc.
Hope everyone had a good week-end and didn't get blown away in the wild weather!


9 comments:

Thea said...

That cutlery is so beautiful. I love the surface design. And I love your upcycling too. It's all good! x

Skye said...

Awesome upcycling - I would never have realised that bracelet was made from forks!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Clever Clogs. xx

Snooze said...

the cutlery is beautiful and what a gorgeous idea for recycling. i must have a little more of a look at your work. it's so interesting.
My Flea Market Find

sharingjam said...

i was thinking up funny things for the dragon to say until i scrolled a little further and was just blown away by the bracelet. I LOVE IT!!

Rustic Tarts said...

I am NOT letting you get into my cutlery drawer - I have forks nearly the same as that, just a squiggle different and the spoons that go with it are even more ornate. Will send you a photo sometime! Love what you made.

Jennie said...

I think he's having a laugh!

The cutlery is gorgeous, and would look wonderful as bracelets!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Those bracelets are fabulous, you are very clever. Love your British mug, I think thats the Welsh dragon?

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Like the poster above, I was distracted from the dragon mug by your stunning bracelet. Look forward to seeing more of your handiwork.

I collect hornsea pottery (well try to) but have not seen that dragon motif. I think he looks quite jolly.