Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vintage Vinyl

Recycling vinyl records is not a new idea - I have made brooches etc in the past but I have really been wanting to make some image based pendants so I decided to whip out the old platters and give it a go.Hope you are ready to have a cuteness overload! seems to be a bit catchy in our household of late. I have just finished listing these in my madeit shop!


They are made from old vinyl LP's - all hand cut and finished then riveted together.


I have had so much fun developing these but let me tell you, metal is way easier to work with!


The images are mostly from Little Golden Books and other cute kids books. I love that I can slip some of my current obsession with woodland critters into my jewellery making! I have used mica to protect the image - much less toxic (and messy) than resin I am pleased to say.


I will be making a slightly more 'upmarket' series of these - sterling rivets and chain - for a gallery shop in the city - but I must say I love the vintaginess of the brass rivets. I like these so much I have made myself one and have already worn it alot! Love it when an idea comes together!

3 comments:

Enchanted Moments said...

ooohh Bambi's, I collect bambis for my girls....

Two Dog Pond said...

very clever!

Kellie Christie said...

OOHHHH I really ♥ these!!