I have to say that it has been slim pickin's around the local oppies this week. I really didn't find anything terribly wonderful so I thought I would share something I picked up a couple of weeks ago - and its transformation!
I think this heart brooch is probably circa 1985 - I seem to recall having some ear-rings that were similar. Even though the Eighties were my 'glory days', I felt it needed a little facelift. When I bought this, I assumed it was wood but as I began to remove the paint it became clear that it is some kind of acrylic. That made the job a little smelly!
Here it is - all naked and ready for re-invention ...
First I sketched out a shape to cut out and create a niche.
Then of course I had to make the niche! I used lino carving tools to create an outline and then a sanding bit on my trusty Dremel. If it had been wood I could have just used the lino tools.
Yummy scrummy paint - I used Jo Sonja 'cos it is so dense with pigment that it sticks really well to almost any surface.
Painting the edges first ...
Then a good coat all over. I let it dry and added a second coat for some extra oomph!
Here I have mixed in a little touch of the black paint to create a deeper shade of red
The darker shade was applied roughly all over to create some depth of colour.
The final touch - a little man for my heart! I just used a little epoxy to glue him in there so time will tell how sturdy that is, but I think it should be ok. A quick spray with some varnish and the project is complete.
Now I can't take credit for this design because I saw someone wearing something like this in the beginning of the year and it caught my eye. Like all artists, I filed it away in the part of my brain that houses "good ideas". So, to the original designer I say "thanks" and sorry for being a thieving so and so - if I knew who you were I would credit you for sure!
Let me leave you with this gem from my glory days - circa 1985 I believe!
Joining in with Sophie over here and some other cool kids over here