Friday, April 13, 2012

Brooching things ...

Here are some brooches I have been working on ...

Across The Oceans, reclaimed pewter, brass 



Across The Oceans, reclaimed pewter, brass
This was made by etching some pewter, cutting it and forging it - fairly crudely and then attatching it with brass rivets to pewter that I have cut and decorated. It is kind of a cultural mish-mash of patterns from two places I would like to visit - Africa and Japan.


Girl Child, recycled epns, recycled tin
Well you have met this one before  ...

Steadfast, reclaimed pewter, spectacle lens, lace, digital image, copper, brass

Steadfast, reclaimed pewter, spectacle lens, lace, digital image, copper, brass

Steadfast, reclaimed pewter, spectacle lens, lace, digital image, copper, brass
Steadfast is dedicated to the talented Irishwomen whose lace-making skills kept the wolf from the door during the Great Famine. They were paid a pittance for their remarkable labours but it was enough to help prevent their families from starving. Mostly.


B.G (Before Google), reclaimed pewter, paint, aluminium, paper (1954 encyclopedia)

B.G (Before Google), reclaimed pewter, paint, aluminium, paper (1954 encyclopedia)
This one was lots of fun to make - it took me a couple of shots to make the banner look the way I wanted it to and I learned a thing or two! I love Google and use it a lot and often think how much I would have loved such a resource s a knowledge-hungry kid. On the other hand we were lucky enough to own  a big old set of Encyclopedias which I loved everything about - the contents, the smell and feel of the paper and covers. I also remember the delicious feeling of  trying to hunt up some info about kite-making and being side-tracked by the Kalahari Bushmen. Now I love the immediacy of Google but sometimes I hanker for the 'old days'.

I am sending these off to the Contemporary Art Society of Victoria today for inclusion (I hope!) in their Brooch Show.

2 comments:

Enchanted Moments said...

I would sit in our passage way, in front of the linen press where the encyclopedias were kept...in the dim light of the hallway trying to trace maps and look up stuff for school projects....I heard the other day that they are ceasing to print them now...I wish I knew what happened to our family set....and the smell, they did have a smell about them didnt they...

nadine paduart said...

it takes a curious kind to then apply the knowledge in a creative way. i appreciate you showing us how this beautiful jewelry comes about. it is thought and intention provoking, albeit my own processes are limited to plastering and sanding, these days...
one day though!
n♥