Here they are with the first layer of resin. My intention was to create double-sided charms using origami paper.
I had always thought the idea of making coloured resin sounded like a good idea. In the dim recesses of my mind I had some recollection of Susan mentioning oil paint to colour Ice Resin. Naturally I didn't bother to do a quick reccy on the Net - preferring instead to sally forth in my usual gung-ho fashion. I added rather a lot of oil paint in relation to the amount of resin which did result in a lovely opaque colour.
I used molds that I have made in the past for resin casting.
And if you don't clean them you get all this black stuff on your resin. I don't mind it though. The thing with these is that they are still after 3 days fairly flexible. Quite likely this is due to the addition of a sizeable dollop of oil paint. I will try it again with less and see what happens!
I hate to waste anything - even an experiment so I resined the little bird to some reclaimed metal and have cut it out so that I can make a brooch.
It turns out that I couldn't be arsed making double sided charms. Or using paper. You have to seal it both sides and I didn't have a paper punch the right size and apparently I am too lazy/wobbly to hand cut circles. I do however own a disc cutter so I used tin instead of paper. (don't judge me!)
I have made pairs of these so they can readily be made into ear-rings. They seem to take awhile to make but that probably has more to do with waiting for the resin to cure than actual effort. I am planning another lot of random ones next - I might even use paper. Okay so I will need a paper punch first ...