Removing the glue used to adhere the label was a bit of an effort - I used eucalyptus oil which worked well but it still requires a bit of elbow action. I decided to use these to pot up some leftover seedlings. My mother-in-law was an excellent gardener - she even managed to grow a banana palm in the Adelaide Hills - and it bore fruit! She was a post-war migrant and never wasted anything so she would use whatever containers were at hand to strike plants etc. Yogurt pots, margarine containers - you name it she would whack a plant in it. Her trick apparently was to put a piece of sponge in the bottom of the container and then top it up with soil. So I figured I would follow suit - I hacked up an old sponge, filled to pot with soil and planted my little herbs etc.
I will let you know how they grow. I am guessing the tins might get a bit rusty over time but I think that would add to their appeal. I s'pose you could give them a coat of clear varnish if you wanted them to stay shiny ...
These would be nice to give away. As a final gift-giving touch, I added a label.
The only truly difficult part of this project was seeing the look of disappointment on my dog's face every time I came inside with an empty can of dog food!
Poor old Rex - he has to wait until dinner time!