Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Smell the Roses.

You know, amongst all the hustle, bustle and hype, it is sometimes easy to forget what life - and art is really all about. This week I had a wonderful and rather humbling reminder of the nitty gritty essence of art and what it means to me. That is, the way it connects with people and makes them feel.
I received this note in the mail ...


and it was accompanied by this gift ...


This little face is tiny - about the size of a mans thumbnail and it was created by a man who only ever gives them away, never selling them and choosing the recipients with care. John is a retired art teacher in his early 70's and I feel very honoured that I have indeed been deemed worthy! I have now met John who is an interesting and interested bloke. It has served to also remind me that there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there in my community if I just take time to look for it. How lucky for me to have the chance to connect with an old codger (with an enviable art collection I might add!) and share both the "aesthetic experience" and a love of Art. Life is good.

2 comments:

Rustic Tarts said...

That's wonderful and very special.

nadine paduart said...

but that is such a touching story. tiny little face, must be really something!