Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thrift-a-long

I have to say that finding time for op shopping has become increasingly tricky lately - the "to do" list doesn't seem to be getting any smaller and it feels just a bit like skiving off if I don't keep my nose to the grindestone... However we all know that productivity is increased with a little R&R so I have decided that thrifting could come under that heading, and hence, managed the odd forage or two this week. I bought the  ManBeast a hat - not a true Akubra but of that ilk - but with mesh ventillation. He has one already. Well two actually - a grubby work on and a cleaner "good "one but they are terribly hard to find new. He is fairly specific about the features of the hat so I was very happy to snap up a brand new, albeit a little crushed, one for just two bucks. I shall spare you a photo. I had a happy haul of a few nice things that have nothing to do with the boring practicalities of keeping the ManBeasts' noggin in the shade ...


Oh dear - more tins - and I haven't shown you the complete haul - I promise to be stronger about this 'cos I am running outta storage room! No more tins from the oppie for Sue! sigh. There are some pretty beads to repurpose amongst that lot and I was particularly happy with the brass door furniture. They will make excellent bezels I reckon.


The lovely tin with the rather Western looking Japanese woman printed on it actually describes a tea ceremony.  I daresay it is from the Sixties and I daresay I won't be cutting it up ...


This has the caption "Ritsko shows the cup for tea"


Here we see "Ritsko with 'fuksa' - or tea napkin" There is one more pic of Ritsko which I haven't shown you but rest assured that she is keen for you to visit and that you are indeed "Welcome at the tea ceremony". Interestingly, this tin was printed in Australia and made by Willow. Just as a point of interest - Willow took good care of their workers and in 1964 formalised that tradition by instituting a superannuation plan - and it was  applied retrospectively to each worker based on the date they commenced work for the company! Given the number of jobs that have just been lost in the manufacturing sector this week in South Australia, that little bit of history that demonstrated a company's determination to provide security for their staff seems nothing short of miraculous. (sorry - that may have been a soapbox moment)


More door furniture! The key hole bits made my heart go pittypat ...



Isn't that gorgeous? I hope you had some time to hit up the op-shops this week. You can share your finds by clicking on the link below ...

2 comments:

emma-alittlebitofeverything said...

What is it about key hole bits? You had my heart going too!

Melissa said...

Are you going to build another shed for those tins! LOL