Sunday, April 3, 2011

Flea Market Finds

Once again Sunday has rolled around and it is time to play along with Sophie and friends to show off our thrifting treasures. I am a complete sucker for cup and saucer sets and my collection has grown too big for the space I inhabit so I have been under a self-imposed embargo on further purchases. Until now. A unique shape and design with no hallmarking of any kind and only $2 ... well, what would you have done? Of course I had to buy it!


The outside of the cup is completely plain but inside is a sweet surprise ...


The gold decoration looks like text to me and is a great example of clever pattern making. I am planning to test this set out with a leisurely cup of Lady Grey this arvo. I have been having trouble keeping my journals straight for Uni, I often end up grabbing the wrong one as I am racing out the door. I decided I needed to differentiate them and train my brain to associate a certain pattern with a certain subject. I am pretty sure this has kinda been done with lab rats so I reckon I have a reasonable chance of success. To that end, I hunted up some fabric in the oppie and made re-usable covers for a couple of my journals.


Even if the brain-training doesn't work they are a big improvement on the boring black covers!

I have been all inspired by Don over at Urbandon who has been delving into the world of Japanese pattern making. Not that I am planning anything quite so complex! I purchased a top (new!) and I love it but hate that I paid real money for it so I figure if I make a few like it fron stuff from the op-shop then really I can divide the price by however many I make. Seems logical right? So pleased that Dollar Day/Week at the thrift store has coincided with my desire to sew. Here is a little stash of knit-fabric garments that I plan to repurpose.


I will fill you in later on the details and hopefully the finished product. Hope you are having a creative, fun filled week-end or really whatever kind of week-end you like best.

6 comments:

ladychiara said...

Love the cup and saucer and such a bargain price too! I have just started buying cups and saucers, unfortunately most of the ones I would love to have are way too expensive for my budget.

Your journal covers are lovely and it is an excellent way of making sure you grab the right one as you rush off out the door. I used to use colour as a visual reminder when I was in college but the patterned fabrics are so much more creative.

Rustic Tarts said...

Oh I have fallen in love with the back journal cover, I would love a skirt made out of that. Of course I can see why you had to add the patchy piece because the black and white swirls look hypnotic and would put you to sleep during lectures! LOVE IT

Lyndel said...

great journals, and I love the way you added name tags to them too. ♥

nadine paduart said...

lovely journal covers!!
n♥

Anonymous said...

Greta covers and you always find the best finds. Glad I inspire!

Melissa said...

Love the covers, well done with the piece of patchwork