Friday, April 8, 2011

Serendipity?

Have you ever noticed that if you buy a white Volkswagen suddenly the world seems to be full of white Volkswagen's? Or if someone says they are looking for old-school heated rollers you find a zillion lurking in every op shop you walk in to? This week whilst looking for info for an essay, I got sidelined by YouTube (meh, why fight it?) and stumbled across some really cool demos of a metal working technique called fold-forming. Then I get to uni to find a pal banging away some fold- formed objects. By now I am starting to hear the faint strains of the "Twilight Zone" theme in my head. Yesterday a new book turned up in my letter box and guess what it has ( among other stuff) in it? Yep - a bunch of fold-forming projects! A small orchestra has struck up in my head now! Here is my first attempt at fold-forming - ta-dah ...


This started out as a strip of flat metal and by virtue of repeated bashing and heating and bashing some more, I have bent it to my will ... mwahahaha ...


Frankly, I can't imagine that this will become a wearable piece of jewellery, but it is kind of nest-like so there are other possibilities. It is a longish process ( mental note - buy heavier hammer!) but worth it to see that flat metal become a 3 dimensional object.

And for those of you who don't remember the Twilight Zone ...

2 comments:

GetSilvered said...

Serendipity? or maybe it universal consciousness :) Love your piece!

nadine paduart said...

my word, you've just cracked me up, thank you! always nice, early in the morn'.
how about backward serendipity? i broke a metal spoon in my mom's kitchen, and whilest i've been finding plenty of these when not needed, now, all of a sudden they have vanished of the face of the earth... oi, oi...
n♥
good luck with the bashing, and from here, deffo, heavier hammer. oi, you're brave! but it's a work out too, i'm guessing? hoping.