Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sewing Adventures

I had a lot of fun on the week-end. I watched my son play soccer for the first time this season. I ate knackwurst and sauerkraut in a roll. And, I broke out the sewing machine.As I mentioned in my last post I wanted to make a top like one I had purchased - from a real store with real money.  Firstly, I had to make a pattern.


 Now since I was planning to sew this out of stretch fabric I didn't worry about straight lines etc 'cos I figured with the stretchy stuff you always get a certain amount of "easement". I had a fish through my cupboard and found some fabrics to add to my Dollar Day op-shop finds that I showed you in my last post. It took a bit of juggling and I had to quell my natural instinct to include a bit of every fabric and managed to keep it tonal. I had some concerns about this bold pattern - I don't want to look like a Jester afterall.


I paired it with some plainer fabrics - I even managed to include the pocket of the cardie I was cutting up ...


So after a bit of faffing about choosing the fabrics, this is what I had laid out ready to sew.


It is so easy to make - you just have to remember to put the bits together in the right order. On Sunday the lovely Miss Kath paid me a visit and we made a whole schebang of these! (5 I think!)


I still have to finish the hems and add a few details - like some buttons to the pocket but I am Big Kev excited about my new Autumn/Winter wardrobe! They are long enough to wear with leggings but look good with jeans too. I will  layer these up with tees and cardies as the weather gets cooler. Being uber stretchy is a real bonus for a shapely girl like me - so comfy! So there you have it - Super Sewing Adventures with Sue - hee hee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some serious recycling! Five you say? Well done.

Melissa said...

Super Sewing Sue, I'll put in my order, they look fabulous!

Rustic Tarts said...

Very designer-ish and right up my alley! (that makes it sound like I only wear designer clothes but I meant that I really like them)

Numinosity said...

Love it! That's the kind of style I would totally love to sport! Selling any patterns? :)

xoxo Kim