Monday, October 4, 2010

Enamelling in the works

My dear friends treat me to a subscription to this magazine every year.


It has lots of eye-candy and this isssue has a good article by the lovely Deryn Mentock. Do hop over to her blog and have a squizz at her work - yummy! The article is called "Finding Your Creative Voice" and the accompanying pictures really struck a chord for me.


I fell in love with the idea of making some enamel birds of my own as I thought the ones  Deryn used are just lovely. So I sketched up a reasonable shape, fished out a scrap of copper and set to with my trusty saw. Then it was time to add the enamel. I torch fired this piece twice - the second time I gave it an eye because I thought it needed a little definition.


Not sure how I will use it yet - probably as a focal for a necklace because it is not small and dainty but for a first attempt I am rather pleased with it even though it is more dove than swallow!

This one has far more swallow-like features. I am a complete sucker for red enamel so there was never any doubt about the colour for this one. My first attempt was a dismal failure as I used very thin copper and the enamel just kept popping off - ggrrr! I am persistent (some might say stubborn) and after a number of attempts to fix the munted one I finally conceded defeat and cut a new one from a heavier gauge metal. And this time it worked. Hopefully I will make these into something lovely real soon.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh wow! They are so pretty....I'm sure what ever you do with them they'll look super!

nicole said...

can't wait to see what becomes of them!
i'm a sucker for red enamel too haha!

GetSilvered said...

They're fabulous. Did you counter enamel on the back? That should help the enamel popping off problem.

Anonymous said...

Stubborn? pfft... as if! We like to think of you as committed darling!! Gorgeous birdies. Yay!!

Two Dog Pond said...

Lovely red enamel! Did you use a torch or a kiln? Your saw work is amazing too...

Septembre said...

it looks lovely...

Rustic Tarts said...

I have no idea what is involved with the enamelling process, I'll have to do some research so I understand it betterer.