Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Smashing Old Chum!

 Blogtoberfest (Day 27)

I had a lovely time this morning smashing china - it is very therapeutic. I totally get why plate smashing is such a popular wedding feature!


Once I was done with the smashing, I had to turn my 'shards' into something more presentable ...


Ah, sooo much nicer and infinitely more wearable. Shaping china is a grotty job. I wear a face mask and goggles as well as a big apron but I still manage to get fine dust on my face and all over my clothes. Seriously, I would do it naked except that I'd be too afraid that I could have a slip and do serious damage (now that is a mental image you didn't need huh?). I love watching these pieces take shape. Today, one thing led to another and before I knew it ...


a new bird was hatched! This is a first for me - by far the most ambitious shaping I have ever undertaken. It measures about 6cms across so it isn't tiny but will be great for a pendant. Smashing! As for those other pieces? Well, here is what I have made with them ...





These will are part of some work I am putting together for a juried exhibition, but more about that tomorrow!

4 comments:

Julz said...

Loving that blue china necklace Sue...right up my alley!!!
The not so little birdie is pretty impressive!

Unknown said...

Amazing, I really like this! I love your creativity

Two Dog Pond said...

Holy COW! I can't believe you can turn broken china into a BIRD with your hands! Amazing! I have soldered around shards, but never tried to make a recognizable shape. I bow down to you...

Numinosity said...

Fantastic. I imagine a lot of work went into making this and the results are superb!
xoxo Kim