Sunday, May 27, 2012

Flea Market Finds

As I hunted about the op shops this week I had in mind some new ways to display the jewellery I make. Naturally everything I looked at was weighed up against its ability to become a unique new display stand of one kind or another. In the end this is what I brought home with me ...


This fairly tall "Tim Burtonesque" candle holder looked promising.





As did this fringed rattan lamp shade ...



I made a wire armature and covered it with calico...


Which looked ok until I tried to tea dye the fabric after it was sewn to the armature and all the yucky black stuff from the steel wire leeched through and stained the fabric. No pics of that though 'cos I am a bit ashamed that I made such a dolt-head mistake!  I covered the rattan with old pattern pieces, wrapped my girl up in some already dyed fabric and added some romantic touches. Voila!



Please forgive the dodgy pics. (I am sure everyone over at Sophie's has done a much better job of photographing their wonderful finds.)


Oh and don't forget I am having a giveaway over here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fab display, you've come up with from two completely unrelated items to one another.

Zara said...

Both made into a lovely display stand. Job well done.
x

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

See, how hard can it be? Love it! Have a super day. X

Anonymous said...

good that you covered the lampshade, I've been tearing covers off some and the dust and rubblish that comes off them..phew!

Your way looks much easier.

Emma said...

She's beautiful! I hope you didn't throw that fabulous steel wire stained fabric away - that's called 'surface design' you know!

Steven Brown said...

This look AWESOME :) ! I love the content of your blog. I hope you can check out my site: http://theproverbs.net and FOLLOW. Be sure to check out my PRINCESS VERA WANG GIVEAWAY ending June 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM. Hope to hear from you soon. God Bless!