Tuesday, October 8, 2013

New York, New York

Well, having survived a flight that seemed to last FOREVER, I made it into New York - bleary eyed and a bit worse for wear. I think there are massive amounts of germs circulating on long haul flights and next time I might try a full-body condom or some such to keep them at bay!
I have walked and walked and walked some more to try and familiarise myself with at least some of the city. I survived the madness that is Times Square ...



(No need to ever do that again ...!)
I was lucky enough to catch a show that I missed when it came to Australia ...


... and yes, it really is as marvellous as everyone says! Mind boggling costumes - I was gob-smacked.
My main aim was to get to the art museums here but when I went to hit up MOMA, the queue was cray-cray and my feet were sore so I put it on the back burner for now. I am planning the better part of a day at the Met though ... 
This is a really friendly city and once you get the hang of the pedestrian crossings the traffic is manageable - although I would never attempt to drive in it - what's with all the horn tooting??
I am pacing myself nicely, taking care of my poor knee (yay for anti-inflammatories).
For the jewellery makers out there - I visited the jewellery district today and had an awesome time picking through some vintage stuff at one place and went oo and ah at others! Time now for a cup of tea (in my delightful digs), a foot soak and to plot a plan of attack for the Met!


2 comments:

Two Dog Pond said...

You Made It!!! Welcome to America! I hope your time here is wonderful and kind. It's too bad our government isn't behaving a bit better. We're all embarrassed about that. If the big cities get too overwhelming and you need to rest, you are welcome to come to Two Dog Pond and relax.

Numinosity said...

Wow, not only are we in the same hemisphere presently but maybe even just 100 miles or so apart. I'm up here in Connecticut for the Art Is You mixed media retreat and in a couple of days I''ll even be closer to New York City in Stamford. Enjoy your time. See me waving?