Sunday, May 23, 2010

Flea Market Finds

Sunday has rolled around again so it is time to join in Sophies meme, Flea Market Finds. It has been a bit of a lean week for op-shopping - so many other things keeping me busy. Still, I did manage a bit of a flit around my favourite on Saturday morning. Ages ago one of the lovely volunteers there gave me an amazing broken bowl that she had purchased in Morrocco - she carted it all over the place - through Egypt on rickety buses and other dodgy modes of transport and it stayed safe and sound in one piece - right up until she got to Australia - it got broken in her suitcase! She was so sad about it - it was in a zillion pieces so couldn't even be patched together. The upshot of it was that she hung onto it for years and eventually gave it to me. I promised to make her a piece of jewellery from it - which turned out to be a bit of a challenge! Still, I finally got it made and dropped it off to her at the op shop. She was really pleased with it  and I get to keep the rest of the shards so everyone is a winner! So, that is how I found myself at the oppie on Saturday morning when really I should have been chiselling some of the soap scum off the bathroom tiles! Naturally, I found a couple of treasures!
 Some sage green crochet thread, a mismatched teapot (50 cents!), a tin, 2 spoons, a file and a dolly stringholder - is'nt she gorgeous?!
Actually, she is a bit grubby but that won't take long to fix. I plan to use her to hold a reel of linen thread that I have handy for card making purposes! I also found this toddlers t-shirt - not sure I would have put my toddler in it but the graphic was too good to pass up!
I desided to strike whilst the iron ( and my enthusiasm) was hot and make stuff with my finds straightaway.
Here is the t-shirt reincarnated as a cushion.
And can you guess which find these are partially made from?
Look closely ...
... yep, you are right - they are made from the tin and some EPNS I already had from a previous tray hunt! Add some sterling wire and voila! If you were opshopping this week I hope the Secondhand Saints were travelling with you - check out Sophie's to see what else has turned up in the thrift stores this week.

19 comments:

Kellie Christie said...

I love what you did with the tshirt and the tin. Those earrings are lovely! Lucky finds.

Snooze said...

i almost fell of my chair laughing when i saw what you did with the t-shirt. absolutely amazing.

My Flea Market Find

PJ said...

Great thrifting! I love that chair that the cushion is on (and the cushion as well!)

nadine paduart said...

clever you on the earrings!
the doll's head (thread dispenser?)find ... that's new to me.

Renee said...

Your earrings are great and well done for "striking while the iron is hot"!

Dear Pearl Vintage said...

those earrings are awesome

My Handmadehappiness said...

oooohhh i do love what you did with the top inspiring to say the least!!!

Jennie said...

Love the earrings!
And what you did with the t shirt!
I have an R2D2(1977)top that i want to do that with. its just that its a toddler top, bit small.
But i will do it!!!

Cherie said...

Oh WOW very clever and speedy too! Love what you did ;)

Peta said...

love the cushion!

Cathie said...

i love that you transformed someones junk into your wonderful treasures.
I love that about opshops, and you are so very creative Sue.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Love what you did with the t-shirt...you're right, that graphic was too cool to pass up!

Steph said...

Wow! You clever thing! That cushion and those earrings are priceless. Fantastic! Neverending story ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah! :)

Jen Crossley said...

Love your flea market finds One man's trash is another's treasure.Love your ear rings Sue just gorgeous.And the T shirt to a cushion is very cool.

Bree Ferguson said...

Love your flea market finds. You are a good scavenger haha

I have left you an award on my blog :)

Fourth Daughter said...

Great finds and great ways to use them! If only I could strike while the iron was hot... by the time I get around to doing stuff with my op shop finds the iron is cold and has the cord wrapped around it gathering dust... but it doesn't stop me buying stuff!

Anonymous said...

You've totally spurred me on to actually do something with all my finds!

'Joyce' said...

Just love your treasures and what you made from them. awesome!

Anonymous said...

A ha ha.... your just cool. Love Kath.xx