Monday, June 17, 2013

First cab off the rank ...

Sometimes it is the actual starting of something that seems to be the most difficult part of the creative process. After having a lot of fun sorting out my summer beachcombing treasures I was procrastinating about actually making something ... dicking around with bits and pieces, drawing and gazing at an infinite number of marine themed images - well you get the idea! Today I sat myself down at my bench, ignored the household tasks that were vying for my attention, and set to work. I only finished one actual piece but I made a number of components for future use. I find doing this is not only an efficient use of time but also makes me focus and commit to actually making the piece the component is intended for. 
Here is the piece I made ...


I used a beautiful slate coloured beach pebble and mounted it on a shank that I made from recycled sterling silver. I didn't have to alter the stone at all - the shape was just so perfect - the ocean had done all the work for me. I gave it a good brush and sealed it with some fine wax and that was it. It is largish but not heavy.


For a little added mystery I engraved the underside of the stone - musta had a bit of a da Vinci Code moment! It certainly feels good to have made a start on this next lot of exhibition work. Yay for me!

5 comments:

Two Dog Pond said...

Yay for you is right! The da Vinci code touch is perfect.

Gayle said...

I agree.......love "the code"

Ro Bruhn said...

What a great ring Sue, simple but so effective.

Lela said...

Indeed good for you! That's so cool!

KnittingMonkey said...

Beautiful, natural but with a human touch.