Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rejuvenation.


Blogtoberfest (Day 14)

Today I thought I would share with you a makeover of sorts. I always seem to be banging on about stuff I have found in the oppie so I thought I should show you just how I utilise some of it. I don't just hoard my op-shop finds you know. Well actually I do hoard my op-shop finds - my cupboards runneth over with china cups and saucers for instance (I hardly feel that is a major flaw given how pretty they all are!). I do try to remake,recycle and renovate stuff I get from the thrift store and I thought I might share the rejuvenation process of one such find with you all. Step one in the process is of course head to an op shop (or 3) and find something that looks like it might be useful but is fairly unattractive in its current state! (makes it more of a challenge!)
This piece fits the bill - it is a stand (always handy!), easy to pull apart and really, you have to admit that it is a bit on the UGLY side! It was also pretty grubby and despite it having a $2 pricetag, the op-shop lady insisted it was only worth 50 cents - seems she was glad to be rid of it!



Step two is a really simple pig-removal-maneuver - I used a bread and butter knife to pry out the little nails holding the back on. Note to self - don't toss out the offending backplate yet - makes a handy template for new backpiece!


Next up - a light sand to get rid of loose bits and create a 'key' for the new paint to stick to.


 Some new white paint ...

 And a little sanding back for a 'distressed' look ...


I created a new backplate from some music paper and a scrap of black cardboard - just a quick trace around the old one for a template, a little UHU glue and we are sorted!



Now for my favourite tool of all time - yep, the ubiquitous HOT GLUE GUN! I love this baby so I just had to show you a pic!


Final step - hot-glue the new back on and -  voila!


  Strange little pig stand is now a rather stylish ear-ring display!


I think larger, swankier ear-rings will look great on this but these were at hand and I am sure you get the idea! I know I will use it and really, I like to think I did someone a favour by removing it from the oppie and thus removing the temptation to actually put it in their kitchen where it would just be a dust collector!
Oh and I just wanted to ask if anyone else is having some issues with Bloggers photo uploading syatem - seems to be a bit temperamental at the moment?








7 comments:

Rustic Tarts said...

And the little pig was glad for being released from his cage! Wonder what the idea was with it, originally!!
Good idea to use it for a jewellery stand.
The blogger problem must be why I haven't done an update for a few days..........

Finki said...

what a great transformation. You most definitely have a knack for thinking outside the box. I would not have bought Mr pig, but I would definitely have bought earring stand the finished piece. good thinkin' Charlie Brown...

deborah from collagewhirl said...

That's adorable! and useful. I really need to organize my jewelry, but I don't think I would have thought of this...great imagination!

Emma said...

You really have an eye for turning the grotty into fabulous creations - this is a great stand! Particularly love the verdigri copper circles neclace you made...ages ago. I don't know where I've been to miss so much over the last few weeks! Maybe you didn't 'pop' up to the top of my blog list or something but i've just had a great catch up, just like listening to you talking to me in the same room - thanks ;)

Numinosity said...

Just stopped in from another blog and can already see that you like some of the same things. I made frames with sheet music earlier this summer and have been stamping with my yard sale steel stamps too.
I look forward to digging deeper and seeing more of your previous posts. Plus I see that Emma's here, must be good!
xoxo Kim

Kellie Christie said...

great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Pretty much completely brilliant.