Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brag Alert!

Lately all my posts seem to have been about the work I am making for an up-coming exhibition. Now as it happens, my daughter is also exhibiting work during the SALA Festival, so I thought I would give you all a sneaky peek at a piece of her work.


With the help of our very favourite "sparky", she has created a light featuring an original papercut - isn't it prettiful? Ellie started making papercuts in her final year at school and despite the lack of encouragement from the art department there, has continued to make art, her way. This will be her second exhibition - the last one was really successful and it was great for her to find an appreciative audience - especially one that was willing to part with their hard-earned dollars to own a piece of her work. Certainly paper-cutting has become more and more recognised over the last few years (thank-you Mr Ryan etal!), but it took a fair bit of chutzpah for my girl to stick to her guns in High School so I am dead pleased that her work keeps on growing from strength to strength. I think believing in yourself is a truly sticky wicket and I think "creatives" often find it particularly so. I am happy that my girl has this gift. Proud Mama will now step off the soapbox - well just before I do, I want to give props to my other daughter who is busily pursuing her writing dreams - one article/review at a time! ( I did call this post "Brag Alert" for a reason you know!) If you head over here, you can get a taste of her linguistic styling - oh yeah! Her ability to convey so much with so few words (editors are fussy about word-count!) blows me away. I think she is a born communicator.  Enough peacocking from me now - their lights are shining and I plan to bask in the warmth of their shiny-ness. All is right with the world.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

FABULOUS!

ladychiara said...

You must be and should be one proud momma! :)

Lyndel said...

oh Sue you have a LOT to be proud of. Well done to you and well done to your talented girls♥