Monday, July 4, 2011

"The Process"

Sometimes I just love "The Process". This morning I was tidying up my bench - often it is a good way to start the creative process - and I came across these ring-pulls ...


I have been collecting them for a woman I study with who, in turn, collects them for a charity. I was about to sweep them into a zip-lock bag when suddenly inspiration hit me with all the force of a George-of-the-Jungle style tree-smash! Luckily I wasn't damaged by the experience but I did grab my journal and scribble a few notes because as I am sure many of you know, inspiration can sometimes be elusive and many a good idea has been lost to the ether for want of a few scribbled reminders.


Essentially I am one of those design-by-making types that make art educators want to throw their hands up in despair. I have progressed along the design first/make later road but when I get all excited about an idea the pencil pretty much goes out the window and I start bustling about looking for materials. The up-side is that you get to play around with stuff and have a proto-type at the end. The downside is that the prototype often looks a bit daggy because it gets dinged up when you experiment with different ideas or have to rectify mistakes. So bear all that in mind when you look at my new little proto-type!
Ta-da!


Aww shucks - sweet Ring-pull Babushkas. Refinements will be made - probably even some measuring (!) to even out those rivets and I dare say I will make the faces more bone-like. I want to make ear-rings and a charm bracelet. They measure about 3.4 - 4cms and I think a vintage crystal dangle for the ear-rings might be nice. Do you think they will be too big for ear-rings? Now I need to go and write down the method before I forget!

10 comments:

nadine paduart said...

elemental! your brains, i love them.
babooshkas, no less!
goodness, i think you are clever. and handy!!!
n♥

Rustic Tarts said...

Fantastic - you're smarter than the average bear!

ladychiara said...

Awesome! Totally cute! Can't wait to see the finished products although I rather like the prototype just as she is. :)

Lyndel said...

Oh you have such a way with metal! amazing♥

Unknown said...

You are a recycle genius I swear! What a fantastic idea. I initially thought a necklace pendant before reading your blog post. I think they'd be great for necklace pendants?

Ro Bruhn said...

These are great, they remind me of babushka dolls.

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

Wow! You are amazing. (For some reason they remind me of Madonna's. Maybe it's the veil like ring pull shape around her face?) I LOVE them! and I do love it when you say you need to tidy up cos I know there's new goodies coming!!

Anonymous said...

wow,

now that is an idea. The best thing is you did it on the spot when george smashed into the tree.

I do remember the original and used to sing along..

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Original! Never seen it before so good for you. Never too big for earrings

Finki said...

Nope..not too big. fantastical and genius of you...Yes, I will buy some...Yes ( :