Friday, January 15, 2010

Whooooo doesn't love a good 'owl ?

(sorry that was a crap pun! )
Of course owls are everywhere right now - t-shirts, bags, jewellery - you name it and there is probably an owl version of it somewhere! I refuse to give up my love of owls just 'cos they are popular - the actual birds are intensely interesting and owly stuff is usually cute and often amusing. I am currently interested in using wood in some of my jewellery and since making a stylized owl seemed fairly straightforward I decided that it would be a good place to start.

Clearly I have a way to go - I managed to split the ply and leave a few dents here and there but it was good to get the feel of sawing wood  as opposed to metal.
Here is the real deal - photo taken at The Gorge Wildlife Park the other day - a Tawny Frogmouth. These guys would probably not feature on anyones "Cutest Owl Ever" list but I think they are great! This one looks quite regal.

2 comments:

Rustic Tarts said...

Are you kidding - I think your owl is terrific.
Love your banner too - can you open an etsy store so that I can buy some of your creations?!

sue said...

You know how it is Christina - I only see the mistakes! Am giving the online store thing some consideration ...