Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tree Hugging

We are in the throes of some professional tree removal at our place. I have resisted having these trees taken out for quite awhile now but sadly they have to go. These are gum trees that my Dad used to call "widow-makers" because of their propensity for losing large limbs in the heat. Our place isn't in the line of droppage but our neighbours' houses are so unfortunately these trees have to go. Long before we moved here, this was a strip of reserve apparently and the council divided it up and sold it off. It certainly made the block more attractive to us as we felt quite rural whilst being right in town. Well, there is no mistaking that we are in the middle of the town now and I have lost the nestled in ambiance but at least everyone and their homes will be safe. I felt a bit sick when I heard the first tree coming down. We will be planting food trees - citrus etc but I am gonna miss these gums. With all this tree stress, is it any wonder that this is what has emerged from the studio in the last day or so ...



Tassie oak and recycled silverplated trays.



They are strung on waxed cotton with an ininti seed acting as a shortener.


The nature of the recycled materials doesn't allow for the removal of every ding and scratch or to achieve a high polish. I don't think it matters do you? It really just adds to the hand hewn quality of the pieces. I must say that I find cutting out metal far easier than cutting out wood. I have been wanting to combine the two elements for quite some time now and I am pretty happy with my first results. To give you an idea of scale, these measure about 8.5 cms from root to tip. I know I am going to mourn my trees for a little while though.

3 comments:

Jen Crossley said...

Oh Sue these are just awesome ,you are really on a roll girl.I love your recycling.

Anonymous said...

Wow. They are really beautiful. Go you !! Love Kath.x

Numinosity said...

You never cease to amaze me. These are fresh and original. you never know where the next inspiration will come from do you?

xoxo Kim