Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flea Market Finds

I am not sure where this week disappeared to but it seems to have whizzed by so fast I nearly missed it! I did however find myself with an hour to kill one day while my car was having some tyre treatments so I visited a local oppie - one I venture into with great trepidation as it is often manned by a fairly ferocious sounding German lady. It usually has lots of buttons that have been carefully sorted and sewn onto cards so every now  and then I pluck up the where-with-all to enter. This week I hit the haberdashery jackpot - gorgeous vintage ric-rac! Check out those colours!
I also found a brass plate which I will cut up and will take to the workshops I am going to next week, and a fondue stand minus its pot which will be perfect for heating my pickle pot ( the jewellery kind not the eating kind!)


 I love the big fat black ric rac too!

I figured I would need some reading material whilst at the Art Retreat next week so I grabbed a few novels - anybody read any of these? Hope they are ok but I figure they will just be used as sedatives after an exciting day of learning stuff from Susan Lenart Kazmer!

The cutest find had to be this childrens book with illustrations by Lucie Atwell. Ms Atwell was a very popular ilustrator in her time and her work is familiar to most people. You can learn more about her here.



These are not her very bestest drawings but they do epitomise her style - innocent and sweet. I think it is a keeper!
Head on over to Sophie's to check out all the other people joining this meme.

14 comments:

Amanda said...

love the ric rac - that's a great find, and the kid's book is really cute too

Collecting Feathers said...

I adore ric rac. There is something primevil in its attraction. I look forward to see what you do with the plate xxNick

Jennie said...

That zig zag ric rac is great, much more interesting that the rounded ones!

Elizabeth said...

What a great find....

marian said...

good for you to venture on in just to discover the BEST ric rac ever!!
oh i simply ADORE Lucy Attwell's sweet illustrations!

moose and bird said...

There's nothing quite like hitting the haberdashery jackpot. Great finds. Melinda xo

Lauren said...

agreed the ric rac is sensational!..art retreat sounds great hope you have a great time!

Rustic Tarts said...

I always love looking at what you have found during the week.
I was going to say that I hope you have a wonderful time, but I know you will love it at the retreat. Drive safely!
PS I don't really think you will have time to read but those books look great.

yardage girl said...

Ric Rac and rhymes - you've scored well!

mel @ loved handmade said...

That ric rac sure was a fabulous find! Gorgeous children's book, I love the illustrations.

Leah said...

The ric rac is fantastic, well done!

Renee said...

The ricrac is a great find!

Unknown said...

Oh yay for all that ric rac! How lovely, you could almost make an Alice skirt (from the new movie).
Sophie x

Cherie said...

WOW that's a Ric Rac jackpot ;) Love your finds ;)